Living Laughing And Creating

Loving Life On A Budget

Preparing the Land & Packing the House

on September 9, 2014

To say we have been busy is an understatement. Last Monday, Labor Day, my Dad brought the tractor up to do some work on the property. Basically, from the moment he got here until Thursday evening he and my husband worked up there constantly. They only came home to sleep and bring me their sweaty, orange tinted clothing. Dad on the tractor

The first thing my Dad did was assess how hard the soil was and he told me very quickly that we had bought concrete. The plow was barely scraping the top, so they went and rented a box scraper with things that will dig into the ground. By Tuesday night, they had everything broke up quite nicely. Wednesday, after a long search, they picked up some lime to plow into the soil. We had a soil test done and were told we needed this, so they went ahead applied it while we had the tractor. At this point, they were on a roll and decided to get fertilizer and grass seed. So my husband put the stuff in a spreader behind our four-wheeler and my dad followed behind with the plow to make sure everything got covered up just enough for it to grow. While they were busy at the property, I was packing up the house and working in the afternoons. I finally got to have dinner and spend time with my Dad on Thursday evening before he left at 5:30 Friday morning.

Yes, 5:30. He wanted to make sure he got home without having to deal with a lot of traffic since he was pulling the equipment trailer with the tractor. I was awake at that point, so I cooked us breakfast and we began our day. We decided we needed somewhat of a break, so we spent Friday running errands. We also visited the bank to sign our paper work and went by the property where we discovered our new driveway.


Our builder had been busy! There was gravel all the way to where our garage will be located. He had also measured out the four corners of the house. In the picture below, you are looking at the drive going into the side of the house. The house will actually be angled to face the drive coming from the road then the drive turns left and follows the tree line to the side of the house.

house siteOn our way out, our new neighbor came over to see what was going on. This is one of two pretty horses that will greet us every day!



Saturday and Sunday were spent moving the rest of our stuff out the house, except for our bed and two bar stools. I was moving right along until I realized how much stuff was still left in the kitchen. I got to the point where I was scared to open another cabinet door. To keep me motivated, my husband came through and stuck post-its with check marks on every cabinet and drawer that was empty. I finally got everything packed or moved to the camper. Monday I got to the point where I could actually start cleaning, and that is what I have been finishing up this morning. There are only a handful of items left upstairs, and a truckload for the storage shed in the basement. We should be completely finished tonight. Tomorrow I will clean the basement and be done.

This has been a crazy couple weeks. My husband and I have moved this whole house without any help, and we are both wore out. I’m already requesting we hire a moving company to empty the storage shed, because I really don’t want to move all that again. The gravity of the adventure we are beginning is also starting to set in. I love this house, but it’s time to move on. Maybe it’s because I’m tired, maybe it’s because I’m scared, or maybe it’s because I’m so excited that I just want to get closing over with. As I sit in the kitchen of this house we have lived in for almost 6 years, I already miss it. We had thought about selling this house and getting something nicer for the past couple years. I was scared of selling, because I knew I couldn’t get this house back if we did sell it. Now we are building a house I will love more, and that is what keeps me motivated to keep moving and finally say goodbye to this house.

I’ve been typing this while waiting on my freshly mopped floors to dry. Now it’s time to get back to work. 🙂



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: